Seaman’s General Merchandise is a Local Treasure
“Served in the Tradition of Yesterday”
We Have Been Family Owned Since 1946
Seaman’s General Merchandise Inc. has been a local treasure since Lester Seaman and James Yost opened the store in 1946 in Barlow, OH. Charles Seaman bought the former Seaman and Yost store from his father and uncle in 1983, and he continues to own the store with wife, Kara. James Merrill opened Merrill Brothers Dry Goods in 1857 in the same building, and ownership changed hands many times in the early years. At Seaman’s General Merchandise, we want to continue offering our customers quality products for years to come. Give us a call at (740) 678-2450 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday or 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday if you have any questions.
History of Seaman’s General Merchandise
- James Merrill opens the general store in 1857 in the same building it is in today. The business is called Merrill Brothers Dry Goods.
- Harry Proctor buys the store in 1913 and names it H.M. Proctor and Son after it changes ownership several times.
- Lester Seaman and James Yost purchase the store in 1946 and name it Seaman and Yost.
- Charles Seaman buys the store from his father, Lester, and uncle, James, in 1983 and renames it Seaman’s General Merchandise.
- The grain and feed operation is installed on site in 1985.
- The building is painted for the first time in August of 1985.
- The full grocery in the store is eliminated in 1993.
- The business is still owned by Charles and Kara Seaman in 2018.
Are You Looking for Something Different?
If you are looking for something different in the Marietta, OH, area, just head west to Barlow to shop at Seaman’s General Merchandise Inc. We are an old-fashioned general store that has it all for shoppers in Marietta, OH, and the surrounding region. Our motto is “Served in the tradition of Yesterday.” We carry a complete line of hardware, water heaters, metal roofing, paint, fertilizer, livestock equipment, animal feed, animal health aids, and more! Still locally owned and operated by Charles Seaman, we are proud of having served the community of Barlow for more than seven decades.
Stop in and Check Us Out
When you walk into Seaman’s General Merchandise, you will step onto the plank floor that will remind of years gone by. You will see a large selection of hardware equipment from the hardware section. Walk a little bit more, and you will see livestock equipment. We also have a mill that you can drive up to and pick up your small or large animal feed, shavings, straw, potting soil, or more. We will load your purchase into your vehicle, like we have done for many years. Contact us if you have any questions.