Seaman’s General Merchandise is a Local Treasure
“Served in the Tradition of Yesterday”
We Have Been Family Owned Since 1946
Seaman’s General Merchandise Inc. has been a local treasure since Lester Seaman and James Yost opened the store in 1946 in Barlow, OH. Charles Seaman bought the former Seaman and Yost store from his father and uncle in 1983, and he continues to own the store with wife, Kara. James Merrill opened Merrill Brothers Dry Goods in 1857 in the same building, and ownership changed hands many times in the early years. At Seaman’s General Merchandise, we want to continue offering our customers quality products for years to come. Give us a call at (740) 678-2450 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday or 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday if you have any questions.
History of Seaman’s General Merchandise
- • James Merrill opens the general store in 1857 in the same building it is in today. The business is called Merrill Brothers Dry Goods.
- • Harry Proctor buys the store in 1913 and names it H.M. Proctor and Son after it changes ownership several times.
- • Lester Seaman and James Yost purchase the store in 1946 and name it Seaman and Yost.
- • Charles Seaman buys the store from his father, Lester, and uncle, James, in 1983 and renames it Seaman’s General Merchandise.
- • The grain and feed operation is installed on site in 1985.
- • The building is painted for the first time in August of 1985.
- • The full grocery in the store is eliminated in 1993.
- • The business is still owned by Charles and Kara Seaman in 2018.